Sunday, September 18, 2011

Lo Siento, No Lo Entiendo

I often find it funny when you are trying to communicate with someone who doesn’t speak the same language as you, it is common to just say whatever it is you want to get across, loudly, and slowly…assuming if you do those things, then the person is bound to understand what you are saying. One small factor…they still don’t speak your language.

The other morning as A and I were getting ready to head out for a walk in the beautiful crisp, fall air we broke the language barrier. It was just after coming downstairs from getting A changed into pants and a sweatshirt before getting the stroller packed up. Our conversation went something like this…

A: “socks”

Me: putting on my socks. Yes, sweetie, these are mommy’s socks.

A: “shooes”

Me: Yep, now it is time to put on my shoes. What color are mommy’s shoes?

A: “wed.”

Me: “Nope, blue…see this, this is b-l-u-e.”

A: “bwetter”

Me:  Putting on my long sleeve shirt since it was a nice crisp fall day. “It is better when you know the correct color.”

A: “No, bwetter.”

Me: “I know A, it is better.”

A:  Full on yelling at me in slow motion, with perfect annunciation and leaning forward to get her face right up in mine “NO, S-W-E-A-T-E-R!”

Me: Having a laughing attack so hard I am actually on the floor. “Yes love, mommy put on her sweater because it is cold. I am sorry I didn’t understand you.”

A: “Payground.”

And since I knew exactly what she was talking about that time, we took off!

Xoxo
Daily Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!