I have been thinking a lot about houses recently and since I have only lived in three places since I graduated from college, I thought I would write down what milestones have happened in each...then I can plan accordingly for our next place, and the next step on our life.
The summer after college I moved into my oldest sister's stable apartment till August. Here is what went down...
· I took the entire summer off to relax, lay in the sun, and play with my oldest (and only) niece, who was about 2
· We got Preston, our first dog!
· My hubby had to go back to Canada to play hockey
· I was super sad :(
· My first nephew was born in Canada
· I spent some quality time with my oldest sister (who is 7 years older than me)
In August I moved into my grandfather's apartment (don't worry, he was not living there anymore). Here is what went down there...
· I started my first teaching job...and LOVED it.
· My hubby came back in the Fall and decided to stay in the States :)
· We got engaged
· I threw Preston a ridiculous 1st birthday party, complete with the pink, plastic "I'm 1" yard sign
· I first waxed myself...ouch!
· My grandfather passed away :(
· I got a new car
· I lived with my best friend from HS
· We decided living together was not good for our friendship, so she moved out
· My middle sister got married and moved back home!
· I got married
· I started grad school
· We bought our first house
A few years of living in the apartment and we moved into our first house. We also made a few big steps in life...
· We got to live together as husband and wife
· We became really close with two of our best friend-couples, who are now A's godparents
· I finished grad school
· My hubby got his green card!
· We found out we were having a baby!
· We had a beautiful, healthy, baby girl!
· We learned a lot about taking care of a house and a baby
· A celebrated her baptism and 1st birthday here
· A took her first steps
· A learned how to run her parents' show :)
· Preston started calming down a wee, little bit
· I quit teaching elementary school and became a stay at home mom
· I decided I need to work a little and got a job teaching grad school
· I realized how lucky I am to be home with A all day and still get to teach
· I fell in love with our little family
· We grew our first pumpkin, tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries, and herbs
· We decided to only grow herbs
Here are my goals for our next home
· To give A a sibling or two
· To have a lazy dog who snores in the kitchen
· To grow old (okay, fine older)
· To buy a playset
· To walk A to her first day of Kindergarten
· To cry a lot at the fact that I have a Kindergartener
· To raise a family with love, respect, kindness, and good values
· To be on the PTA
· To be the mom who brings in cupcakes, just because
· To pick my kids up from school each afternoon and find out every detail about their day
· To have family dinners
· To spend quality time with friends
· To go on special trips with just my husband
· To teach at the college level once my kids are all in school
· To make breakfast each morning and dinner each night
· To leave little notes in my kids' lunches every day
· To wake up each morning as happy as I am now
I know each house, and each stage in our lives, will hold special memories and I could not be more grateful for where we are today and what we have to look forward to tomorrow.