Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thank You, Thanksgiving

Although a few days ago I was a strong advocate of skipping thanksgiving, I have changed my mind. Let me explain...as I was thinking back about my weekend, it dawned on me why thanksgiving is a national holiday. First it means the weekend starts on a Thursday, or Wednesday if you are really lucky, and lasts till Sunday night; and secondly, it is an opportunity to spend time with family and friends.

Growing up with an only-child dad and a mom, whose only sister lived in Alaska, meant a lot of close knit family gatherings were just that...close. But now, having my parents, two sisters, two brother-in-laws, husband, four nieces and a daughter all in this immediate area means a lot of wild and crazy family get-togethers. We started with us all at thanksgiving dinner, kids running wild, stealing each others sippy cups and coming dangerously close to Gigi's antiques...which personally scared the life out of me, but only raised an eyebrow on Gigi when she thought one of the girls was hurt. After we ate enough food to last us for days, we waddled home to sleep it off, before starting all over again the next day.

After waking up hungry (who thought that was possible!?!?) we headed to my big sister's farm, I mean house, for some pony rides, cousin fun, laughter, and leftovers!

The next three days were spent in the same spirit. Taking long walks with the dog and A, meeting up with family and friends, and being thankful for all we have this year.

So like I said, in my attempt to come back to reality, I realized I have been completely focused on playing, laughing, family, and eating...and that is what thanksgiving is all about. Bringing you closer to the ones you love as you drift further away from reality.

Tomorrow I will download the adorable pictures from this weekend, make a real trip to the grocery store, grade some papers, and get back on my daily schedule...but for now, I am going to sneak into A's room and hum along with Christmas carols as I watch my little girl sleep, and cherish the last four days of utter perfection.

Xoxo
Daily Mom

1 comment:

I love to hear from you!