Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Let's Talk Turkey

So to be completely honest with you, I do not like Thanksgiving. Sure, it is fun to watch the parade on TV for a little bit in the morning but as whole I am not a huge fan. I think my main reason is there are not a lot of fun activities to get ready for Thanksgiving. You don't get to decorate your bike with red, white, and blue streamers, you can't run through hay mazes, pick out pumpkins, or pick out costumes, you certainly don't decorate a tree, get to buy present, sing carols, or spend hours making cookies. In fact, you don't really do anything but make a few turkey crafts to hang on the fridge and cook a big dinner. It probably doesn't help that I am not a fan of turkey, most potato products, or stuffing...I know what kind of sick freak am I?

I guess that is why after Halloween I start making list of presents, humming carols under my breath all day, and plan out when I will bake, decorate, and make everything Christmas! I love Christmas. Not just for the presents, because, as lame as it seems each year I have actually looked forward to giving presents rather than receiving them, but for the memories, smells, sounds, and lights that can make even a dreary day, into something magical.

So with my "indifference to Thanksgiving" mindset I am in now, I decided it would be most productive to just focus on Christmas! Not only am I currently singing along, a little too loudly, to It's The Most Wonderful Time of Year but I am also simultaneously online shopping, making Christmas lists, blogging, and searching each website for the perfect Christmas card background. And that my friends, bring me to the purpose of this post. Gee, I guess it was a long time coming...but here it is the big reveal...

I think I am going to switch back to saying a Christmas greeting on our cards this year. Sure they are holiday cards to some, and I appreciate and respect each person's beliefs, but you know what...we celebrate Christmas, and I am wishing you all a Merry Christmas. For the past many years we have always done a non-denominational greeting...but after reading an article my sister sent me which Ben Stein wrote about the "holiday tree" at the White House, I think he has a point. I don't think it will offend my non-Christmas-practicing friends to receive a card from our family that wishes them a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. So My Only Wish This Year is that everyone has a great holiday, no matter what they believe...and maybe if I really get to be picky, can we just skip Thanksgiving and move to Christmas?

xoxo
Daily Mom  

1 comment:

  1. I am shocked that you don't like Thanksgiving! It's all about food and you love to cook! Shocked! And I thought you would have A make hand print turkey's and all sorts of fun creative stuff that wouldn't even cross my mind!

    But thank you, because I'm not a big Thanksgiving fan either (but that probably wasn't a shock. :-))

    I am not shocked, however, that you love Christmas. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!