Friday, March 22, 2013

Terrible 3's


Terrible Three's...let's be honest, I didn't think it would happen to us, but it did, or it is, and it is kicking our a$#! I never thought our sweet and sassy little girl would look us right in the eye and say, "no", or constantly throw screaming fits when she doesn't get her way but oh my it is really happening.

Let's take today for example, we were walking through the mall doing a few errands after workout. G man was in the stroller snoozing and A was running ahead a little bit then waiting for me to catch up like always. We had just rounded the bend to chat with a friend for a sec and A was zooming her cow around patiently. Then, I told her it was time to hop back in the stroller...very common, she walks for a bit then hops in so we can get to our next destination...and since it was time to leave and we had to cross the whole mall it was time to hop back in. She knew this. This is not new in any way, shape, or form. But for some reason when I scooped her up (like always) and plopped her in, she started screaming, "no!" like I was abducting her, and arched her whole body so hard she almost fell on the floor. It was insane.

After I picked my jaw up from the floor, I firmly told her it was not appropriate behavior and she needed to sit in her stroller for the reason I just reiterated above. Well...good golly you would have thought I told her she was never getting dessert again. She screamed and continued to arch. Well, then I told her we were heading right home and she was not allowed to get out and walk again in the mall, as I secured her in her seat. This brought on more screaming, and pretty much every woman who passed us said, "don't worry it is a stage it will pass", but that is not what I wanted to hear.

I want to know what I can do to make this stop. What all of a sudden is she not listening to me? What happened to my sweet, well behaved girl? And what kind of consequences can I do to a three year old who won't listen. It was so bad the other day I took away her glue (I know, sounds weird but it is her most prized possession...she is obsessed with gluing!) for the afternoon and that didn't even seem to work. Ahhhh!

 

xoxo

In Distress,

Daily Mom

 

But then she does something like this and melts my heart...it is A reading to her little brother while he plays on the rug!

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, that's the worst isn't it. You can just feel everyone judging you as you struggle to get her quiet. But, I assure you, most people aren't judging you, and the ones that are just don't understand. Screw them!

    I usually walk away from Babe when she starts with that crap (yes, even in a crowded mall...what psycho would take a child who is screaming bloody murder, everyone is looking!) It works bc it snaps her out of it, like "Oh crap! I don't want to get left behind." There is usually a little extra screaming until she catches up to me but then she'll calm down. It works for us. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!